As spring breaks begin across the country Folly Beach has started to become noticeably more lively. Considering the size of Folly Beach there's an impressive number of local eateries to choose from, and I stress local. The only chain option available on the island is the Subway inside the gas station. During my trips I will get a lot anglers asking me about which restaurants I recommend. Here are my top five favorites:
1) Chico Feo: Two words "Samurai Sling". Not only is their signature cocktail delicious but their asian fusion cuisine. Be sure to check out their specials board as that's where they really shine. If you see Laarb, Pork Vermicelli, or Wu-Tang get it!
2) Jack of Cups: Their menu is always amazing and always changing. Each season you can expect new globally inspired delights and some of the best soups you will ever taste. I'm a sucker for the red curry Mac 'n Cheese, or whichever Mac is on the menu at the time.
3) Lost Dog: Quintessential local breakfast eatery with dog photos adorning every wall en masse. If you have a sweet tooth you must get their cinnamon rolls. My favorite barista, Anna, whips up a mean vanilla latte. Not just a good breakfast spot, but also lots of lunch options including a blackened salmon BLT wrap.
4) Bowen's Island: No better spot to chow down on local seafood while enjoying a breathtaking sunset. If you're an oyster fan this is the place for you.
5) Lolo's: A southern staple, resting right on a small tidal creek, Lolo's serves delicious seafood options. When in season the fried blue crab sandwich is phenomenal and regardless of the season, the key lime pie is always delightful.
Stay Tuned for future posts to include Folly's top 5 best places for a cocktail, according to Captain Redfish Wild Bill.